How to find out the weekday from a date??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jose Manuel Lorenzo Lopez
Subject How to find out the weekday from a date???
Date
RE: How to find out the weekday from a date???  ("tamsin" <tg_mail@bryncadfan.co.uk>)
List pgsql-general
Hello PG's,

I want to extract the weekday of a given 'date' type field in my table
when selecting. How can I do this?

For example in a table "bschft_days" filled with values with type 'date'

I want to select all the days within the month 'march' and output the respective
weekday. I tryed this:

select extract(dow from timestamp(day)), day, userid from bschft_days where date_part('month', day) = '3';

But it only tells me:

ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "dow"

:(

Any ideas??

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Un saludo

José Manuel lorenzo López