Re: Postgres User and Password - Mailing list pgsql-general

From GH
Subject Re: Postgres User and Password
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:43:57PM -0400, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
[...]
> My problem is with my Linux Posgres installations.
> I compiled as root and installed as root user. As root I can
> root@thinkpad root]#  su postgres
> root@thinkpad root]#  pg_ctl  start  ...........  Or use postmaster
>
> and successfully start the server.. As I have set all Path and Data
> enviormental variables.

> But, if I try this as a user
> Bob@thinkpad Bob]# su postgres ............. My results is
>  password:                                          ............ Then no
> matter whats entered, even NULL

Did you expect anything different?
Trying to su from an unprivileged user to any user with no password
should fail miserably.

You must be root to su to a user with no passwd, e.g.
root% su postgres
postgres#

> ........... I get
> su: incorrect password
>
> I had no password for User postgres but I finally gave it one but no
> help..

That indicates a greater problem with your system. Try resetting it
so postgres has no password, and try su'ing as root.

> I made root and Bob both members of  Group database..     no help.
That should be irrelevant.

> Once server is started Bob is a postgres user and can start and use
> psql...

This is not related.

> Very inconvenient to log in as root then su postgres then back to User
> login to
> development tools..

I have no idea why you would do that.

> How can I fix this problem..

You can have the server start automatically upon boot.
Beyond that, you have no need to 'su postgres'. You can use psql as any
user on the machine (provided the permissions are all set correctly).
Can you be more specific about what the 'problem' is?

> Thank You
> Bob T

gh
--
> What, no one sings along with Ricky Martin anymore?
My kid sister does (but then, she prefers pico to vi ...)
    -- Suresh Ramasubramanian, alt.sysadmin.recovery