Acceptable topics on -general WAS Re: error handling. How to? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From GH
Subject Acceptable topics on -general WAS Re: error handling. How to?
Date
List pgsql-general
[/me bows before all and begs forgiveness for the non-snippage. /me felt
that it was better than referring to the other (potentially deleted)
thread]

Acceptable topics of discussion on -general.

I would say anything that involves the installation, use, general
development, and tuning  of; and issues with; and advocacy for
PostgreSQL are acceptable and welcomed topics of discussion.
[/me takes it upon himself to proclaim that OT threads are acceptable
so long as they are not unreasonably long and are at least vaguely
relevant to PostgreSQL in /some/ way.]

Generally speaking, you should survive unscathed unless you have serious
doubts about what you are posting. Unacceptable are such things as
flamebait, discussion of how MySQL is (/me giggles mercilessly at
the insanity) 'better', OS wars (e.g. 'Linux kisses the feet of
FreeBSD') [/me begs forgiveness despite the reality], and other
gratuitous dribble.

Viva le PostgreSQL.

/me says 'So long suckas!' and returns to MUDing amid quotes from South
Park episodes.

Enjoy.

Oh, yeah, I welcome support and counterarguments (so I can
freely shoot them down as naive and false *smile*).

gh

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 08:09:08PM +0100, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> > Am Montag,  9. Juli 2001 11:36 schrieb Richard Huxton:
>
> > thinking a few days about your words  i decided to do the error
> > checking in a  serverside programm. So i have three components.
> > GUI(HTML),
> > frontend(serverside), Database(backend)
> >
> > But if i have a table like
> > create table (level int2 check level > 0 and level < 10);
> >
> > i do the error checking two times. Once in my frontend (not GUI) and
> > once in  my backend (database). If have to do the check in my frontend
> > too because i  want german readable error messages and not database
> > produced error messages.  And i have to check it in my database because
> > frontends like pgsql wont check  it.
> >
> > if i want to change the range to 12 i have to change it in two
> > programms.  thats what i dont like.
>
> Agreed - if you need to make the same change twice you're going to forget one of them sooner or later.
>
> What I've taken to doing is trying to abstract my data definitions into a config file and running that through Perl
ora macro processor to generate both SQL and either PHP or Perl structures and accessor functions. One of these days
I'llget around to making my tools general purpose and post them up for use.

> Makes you more disciplined since you need to build little upgrade scripts to update your database structure. Means
you(well me anyway) think about what changes mean to your structure rather than just ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN.

> Actually - run a few searches on Google/Freshmeat - there might be something that suits you there.
>
> > Are there any examples to learn from. In SQL books you always get this
> > easy  shit like "i build a cd database" huii. Nothing about how to
> > design a whole  software with a SQL database. Error checking, How to
> > Connect a OO Layer to a  database....
> >
> > Does anybody know some in-depth examples on the web?
>
> Afraid not - I've always felt good real-world examples of development (including where you realised you've gone wrong
andneed to rework something) would be useful.

--
> What, no one sings along with Ricky Martin anymore?
My kid sister does (but then, she prefers pico to vi ...)
    -- Suresh Ramasubramanian, alt.sysadmin.recovery