Large objects in web applications - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wsheldah@lexmark.com
Subject Large objects in web applications
Date
Re: Large objects in web applications  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

Hi,

Has there been any substantial change in the way large objects are handled with
the coming of 7.1 and the expanded row size limit?  Some old online articles
suggested that would change things, but the current docs seem say I still need
to use functions like lo_import.

Assuming things haven't changed for large objects, it appears that to display an
image, I'll need to:
1. select the image from postgresql, using lo_export() to save it to a uniquely
named temp file (to avoid conflicts with other users).
2. Read/load the temp file and send it out to the browser.
3. Delete the temp file

Is this conceptually correct?  Any pointers to good docs or articles on doing
this with perl?  I know it's straightforward, but I'd just as soon not reinvent
the same mistakes if I can help it.  Thanks,

Wes