OIDS in views - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Zak McGregor
Subject OIDS in views
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all

I have a huge problem: I expect to find a column named 'oid' in any
table I query, and the client I am writing doesn't know whether I am
really selecting from a table or a view. Trying to create a view however
yields the following error:
ERROR: system column oid not available - mans is a view

and creating the view with
create view mans as select ....,oid from.... etc
gives the following error:

ERROR:  Attribute 'oid' has a name conflict
        Name matches an existing system attribute

Can I do anything about this, and does 7.1.2 perhaps not have this
problem?

I'm currently on 7.0.2.

Thanks

Cheers

Zak

--
Zak McGregor    http://www.carfolio.com - Over 7000 car specs online
Web mercenary - currently for hire. Perl/html/.js/sql/cgi/GNUlinux/php +