Re: What the heck is happening here? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: What the heck is happening here?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 06:17:31PM -0400, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> Quoting Alex Pilosov (alex@pilosoft.com):
> > Don't do it. If you _must_ get some stuff on startup, close the conn after
> > you are done. See mod_perl references for examples on using of ApacheDBI
> > (mostly its just 'use ApacheDBI' vs 'use DBI') and no, you cannot use Pg
> > (the oldstyle, libpq-alike) interface with ApacheDBI, you must use
> > DBD::Pg.
>
> That shows how out of it I am - I didn't even know there was a DBD::Pg.
> Why isn't it in the postgres-perl RPM?

A lot of people don't seem to know this -- I guess they think that
configuring PgSQL '--with-perl' installs the 'one and only' Perl
interface.  Unfortunately for them, they often never find out about
DBD::Pg and DBI, which many people consider to be a more pleasant way
to access databases from Perl.

Perhaps a note in the install documentation could mention the existence
of multiple Perl interfaces and where to go to get DBD::Pg
(www.cpan.org)

Cheers,

Neil