Re: dumping strategy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Hallstrom
Subject Re: dumping strategy
Date
List pgsql-general
> Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> writes:
> >> It's just
> >> for i in t1 t2 t3; do pg_dump -t$i mydb > $i.tbl; done
>
> > Although with a strategy like this, they're no guarantee that the
> > snapshot you get will be consistent. And if you're using refential
> > integrity it might not even restore properly.
>
> Good point.  So who wants to tweak pg_dump to accept multiple -t
> switches?  Seems like
>
>     pg_dump -t foo -t bar -t baz dbname
>
> is a reasonably non-ambiguous syntax.

Not that I am anywhere close to being able to make thsese changes, but it
seems like it would be nice to have an option that says "dump all tables
except the ones specified".  Kind of like grep's -V option...

maybe doing the two at the same time would be easier...

-philip