Re: /contrib/unixdate: Broke in cvs tip. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: /contrib/unixdate: Broke in cvs tip.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010529 10:07]:
> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> > I tried to use the unixdate contrib, and got the following:
>
> I think unixdate is suffering from bit-rot.  Most or all of what it
> does is now part of the mainframe anyway.
Aha!  I couldn't find what I needed...

> > Any ideas? (I need SOMETHING that takes a unix timestamp and turns it
> > to timestamp. )
>
> There are a number of ways.  I tend to rely on the binary equivalence
> between int4 and abstime:
>
> regression=# select now()::abstime::int4;
>  ?column?
> -----------
>  991145365
> (1 row)
>
> regression=# select 991145365::int4::abstime::timestamp;
>         ?column?
> ------------------------
>  2001-05-29 10:09:25-04
> (1 row)
This ugly one worked for me, but I'd still like to see
a more general way to move from a unix timestamp to datetime with out
the 3 casts....

> but the more officially supported way to do the former is
> date_part('epoch', timestamp), and I think there is also an
> Approved Way to do the latter.  (Thomas?)
Thanks again, Tom!

LER