Re: /contrib/unixdate: Broke in cvs tip. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: /contrib/unixdate: Broke in cvs tip.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> I tried to use the unixdate contrib, and got the following:

I think unixdate is suffering from bit-rot.  Most or all of what it
does is now part of the mainframe anyway.

> Any ideas? (I need SOMETHING that takes a unix timestamp and turns it
> to timestamp. )

There are a number of ways.  I tend to rely on the binary equivalence
between int4 and abstime:

regression=# select now()::abstime::int4;?column?
-----------991145365
(1 row)

regression=# select 991145365::int4::abstime::timestamp;       ?column?
------------------------2001-05-29 10:09:25-04
(1 row)

but the more officially supported way to do the former is
date_part('epoch', timestamp), and I think there is also an
Approved Way to do the latter.  (Thomas?)