restore improvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mario Weilguni
Subject restore improvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I think the restore process could be made more error proof if the following
additions could be made:

pg_dump, (maybe started with a special flag) if run with superuser rights
should not issue

\connect - username
create table foo (...
copy foo from ...

to create tables, but use this syntax:
create table foo(...
copy foo from ...
update pg_class     set relowner=u.usesysid   from pg_user u where u.usename='username' and relname='foo';

This would avoid situations where a restore becomes impossible because
password authentication is necessary. This would allow restoring  without
having to set trust in pg_hba.conf. A patch would be simple, in fact I wrote
it within a few minutes.

Or am I completly wrong and there's a better way to accomplish this?

Best regards,Mario Weilguni

--
===================================================Mario Weilguni                               KPNQwest Austria GmbH
 Senior Engineer Web Solutions                         Nikolaiplatz 4