Re: New Linux xfs/reiser file systems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: New Linux xfs/reiser file systems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 01:49:54PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > Performance doing what?  XFS has known performance problems doing
> > > unlinks and truncates, but not synchronous IO.  The user should be
> > > using fdatasync() for databases, btw, not fsync().
> >
> > This is hugely helpful.  In PostgreSQL 7.1, we do use fdatasync() by
> > default it is available on a platform.
>
> Good --- fdatasync is defined in SingleUnix, so it's probably safe to
> probe for it and use it by default if it is there.
>
> The 2.2 Linux kernel does not have fdatasync implemented, but glibc
> will fall back to fsync if that's all that the kernel supports.  2.4
> implements both with the required semantics.

OK, that is something we found too, that fdatasync() was there on some
platforms, but was really just an fsync().  I believe some HPUX
platforms had that.

OK, so they need a 2.4 kernel to properly test performance of Reiser/xfs
with fdatasync().

Pennsylvania19026