Re: date problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric G. Miller
Subject Re: date problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 07:56:49PM +0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> After converting a mysql database to PG, I try to dump it to my Pg database
> and I get 5 times in more the 500 inserts this error:
>
> ERROR:  Bad date external representation '1999-02-30'
>
> <after looking at the calendar>
> I notice that the dates that failed don't exist.
> Oh man, what a bitch MySQL is!!!!
> </>after looking at the calendar
>
> Any idea?
>
> The other thing I don't understand is why mysql2pgsql when converting the
> auto_incremental field of MySQL to PGsql puts everything OK in the table, but
> then does all the inserts without creating the sequence. After all the
> inserts, it creates the sequence. I think thats not the way the dump file
> should go.
>
> Any thoughts?

Won't say anything about the first item, but as far as the auto
increment thing goes.  It does make sense to create the sequence later
because you may have related tables that won't join if the sequence
numbers get changed in the port.  I assume the starting value for the
new sequence = max(auto_increment_field) + 1 ...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>