Re: HTTP authentication - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Roberto Mello
Subject Re: HTTP authentication
Date
Re: HTTP authentication  ("Christian Marschalek" <cm@chello.at>)
List pgsql-php
On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 10:54:21PM +0200, Christian Marschalek wrote:

> > Otherwise, you can reasonably use
> > either the http auth stuff, which is probably the best approach,
> > especially for a site that's got any kind of heavy usage or
> > something based on PHP sessions.  However be forewarned that
> > the sessions stuff isn't exactly the most efficient and fast.

    What's the problem with sessions? Are they slow? I don't see why since
it just grabs the cookie  from the browser and reads the appropriate file
from the sessions directory.

> Well PHP auth and sessions is probably the right aproach. Which one
> would be more efficient or faster?

    I just wrote an auth library that uses sessions and stores passwords
encrypted in the database. I am fairly new to PHP (tho experienced in
other web devel technologies) so it might need improvements, but it works
very well for me.

    -Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+