Re: WAL feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: WAL feature
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > How?
> >
> > I guess other hosts could read the WAL to find out what changed.
>
> I wonder if that would get around one of the issues I had brought up a
> ways back concerning replication and stuff like sequences ...

Yep, WAL collects all database changes into one file.  Easy to see how
some other host trying to replication a different host would find the
WAL contents valuable.

> > > How?  Didn't even see these as being related ...
> >
> > It may be.  Not sure.
>
> Neither am I ... Vadim seems to think so, so am curious as to how ...

I think my point is that WAL could prove to be very valuable in a number
of areas, perhaps more areas than we know of right now.  In fact, I
think one idea once we start 7.2 is to identify how we want to use WAL
in the upcoming 7.2 features, make any needed WAL improvements, then
start adding features.

WAL was tough to add, but there are probably a lot of nice things was
can do now that we have it.

Also, Vadim mentioned that WAL fixed btree corruption problems, which
was certainly important too.

Pennsylvania19026