RI oddness - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject RI oddness
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,
   I  just  got  trapped  by  one  of  my  own  features  in the   referential integrity area.
   The problem is, that the trigger run on the FK row at  UPDATE   allways  checks  and  locks the referenced PK, even
ifthe FK   attributes didn't change. That's because if there'd be an  ON   DELETE  SET  DEFAULTS  and someone deletes a
PKconsisting of   all the FK's column defaults, we wouldn't notice and  let  it   pass through.

   The bad thing on it is now, if I have one XACT that locks the   PK row first, then locks the FK row, and I have
another XACT   that  just want's to update another field in the FK row, that   second XACT must lock the PK row in the
firstplace  or  this   entire  thing leads to deadlocks. If one table has alot of FK   constraints, this causes not
reallywanted lock contention.

   The clean way to get out of it would be to skip non-FK-change   events in the UPDATE trigger and do alot of extra
workin the   SET DEFAULTS trigger.  Actually it'd be  to  check  if  we're   actually  deleting  the FK defaults values
fromthe PK table,   and if so we'd have to check if  references  exist  by  doing   another NO ACTION kinda test.

   Any other smart idea?

Jan