Re: timestamp/function question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: timestamp/function question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:44:20AM -0800, Soma Interesting wrote:
> At 11:13 AM 3/29/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >but as tom lane mentioned, current_date is today, all day,
> >until midnight (local time zone, i presume) whereas
> >current_timestamp is less chunky, having finer grains down to
> >one second.
> >
> >but even there, the timestamp is apparently (just learned this
> >today from other posts on this thread) set for the start of
> >the current transaction (or is it session?)...
> >
> >timeofday() may be what you're after.
>
> I'm new to stored procedures, triggers and pl/pgsql. The
> mistakes I'll likely make will be simple ones and I should have
> thought of timestamp vs.  date, sorry to ask such foolish
> questions.

we may never know for sure, but i'd bet lots-o-moola that there
are folks lurking out there who've been saved hours or days of
hair-pulling by coming across threads such as this...

of course, *i* have never been so naive. ever. not since tuesday.

--
does a brain cell think?

will@serensoft.com