Re: SOME PL/PGSQL PROBLEMS - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard H
Subject Re: SOME PL/PGSQL PROBLEMS
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 3/23/01, 9:10:16 AM, datactrl <quals@bigfoot.com> wrote regarding [SQL]
SOME PL/PGSQL PROBLEMS:

Sorry, can't reproduce this at all Jack

> I found there are some problems with PL/pgSQL.
> 1) 'Drop Table' doesn't work at all

No problems in 7.1, can't remember about previous versions

> 2) '--' comment causes parsing error

No problems ever AFAIK

> 3) Execute doesn't work at all. It always causes parsing error!

I know this is only in 7.1, not in earlier versions

> Some questions
> 1) Can I use variable in FROM clause for a table name?

No - afraid not. Queries are pre-compiled as I understand it, although
this is possible in pltcl (and plperl I think).

> 2) Can I use variable in WHERE such as xxx = variable?

Yes, exactly as you show

> JACK

Take a look at http://www.brasileiro.net/postgres/ for some example
plpgsql functions or check http://techdocs.postgresql.org or Bruce's book
at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html

If you have a specific example, please post it with the version of PG you
are running.

HTH

- Richard Huxton