Re: pgindent run? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pgindent run?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > OK, I am going to have dinner and then get started on the pgindent run.
> >
> > I have also noticed we have some comments like:
> >
> >     /* ----
> >          * one word
> >          * ----
> >          */
> >
> > that look funny in a few places.  I propose:
> >
> >     /* one word */
> >
> > to be consistent.
>
> to be consistent with what ... ?  isn't:
>
> /* ----------
>  * comment
>  * ----------
>  */
>
> the standard?

Sorry.  It has been a while since I studied this.  The issue is the
dashes, not the block comments.  /* --- is needed for multi-line comment
where you want to preserve the layout, but in other cases, it prevents
comment layout and looks kind of heavy.  I eyeball each change to make
sure it is clean so:

becomes the cleaner:
/* * test */

This makes the comment easier to read.