Re: pgindent run? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: pgindent run?
Date
Re: pgindent run?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: pgindent run?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [010321 21:14] wrote:
> > The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > > and most times, those have to be merged into the source tree due to
> > > extensive changes anyway ... maybe we should just get rid of the use of
> > > pgindent altogether?
> >
> > I think pgindent is a good thing; the style of different parts of the
> > code would vary too much without it.  I'm only unhappy about the risk
> > issues of running it at this late stage of the release cycle.
>
> This is the usual discussion.  Some like it, some don't like the risk,
> some don't like the timing.  I don't think we ever came up with a better
> time than before RC, though I think we could do it a little earlier in
> beta if people were not holding patches during that period.  It is the
> beta patching folks that we have the most control over.

It seems that you guys are dead set on using this pgindent tool,
this is cool, we'd probably use some indentation tool on the FreeBSD
sources if there was one that met our code style(9) guidelines.

With that said, I really scares the crud out of me to see those massive
pg_indent runs right before you guys do a release.

It would make a lot more sense to force a pgindent run after applying
each patch.  This way you don't loose the history.

You want to be upset with yourself Bruce?  Go into a directory and type:

cvs annotate <any file that's been pgindented>

cvs annotate is a really, really handy tool, unfortunetly these
indent runs remove this very useful tool as well as do a major job
of obfuscating the code changes.

It's not like you guys have a massive devel team with new people each
week that have a steep committer learning curve ahead of them, making
pgindent as patches are applied should work.

There's also the argument that a developer's pgindent may force a
contributor to resolve conflicts, while this is true, it's also
true that you guys expect diffs to be in context format, comments
to be in english, function prototypes to be new style, etc, etc..

I think contributors can deal with this.

just my usual 20 cents. :)

Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/