Re: Maybe a Bug, maybe bad SQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Maybe a Bug, maybe bad SQL
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Note also that it's a mailing list cultural thing: many lists operate
> in a 'post only to the list' mode. Those of us on the pgsql lists do the
> 'list and person' thing, in response to direct questions, for the reasons
> Bruce and D'Arcy point out. Note that by knowing the reasons, one may
> then make informed decisions, like my posting of this message directly
> to the list only, since it's a peripheral issue and multiple people
> are involved in the conversation. It's not uncommon, when debugging
> a particular problem, or discussing implementation of a new feature,
> to have a thread of discussion by CC'ing three or four developers,
> plus the HACKERS list for archiving and general interest.

My mailer would have trouble sending just to the list and not to both.
To do list-only, the mailing list software would have to set the
Reply-To to be to the list.

Marc had it set up that way a few times, but most didn't like it.  In
fact, the big problem with that setup is that you can't easily reply
just to the poster.

Most mailers have a 'reply to user' and 'reply to group' mode.  Reply to
user goes only to the poster, while reply-to group goes to both.

At least that is how I understand the issue.

Pennsylvania19026