Re: Maybe a Bug, maybe bad SQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Maybe a Bug, maybe bad SQL
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 08:20:22AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > version 7.0.3
> >
> > binary_data=# select day, date_part('day',  day) AS day from test;
> >     day     | day
> > ------------+-----
> >  02/04/2000 |   2
> >  01/04/2000 |   1
> >  03/04/2000 |   3
> > (3 rows)
> >
> > binary_data=#
> >
> > Why does everyone reply to the person as well as CC to the list when the
> > person is on the list anyhow?
>
> Good question.  They get the reply faster by sending it to them and the
> list, and if someone later wants to reply only to the poster, they have
> the email address right there.

Note also that it's a mailing list cultural thing: many lists operate
in a 'post only to the list' mode. Those of us on the pgsql lists do the
'list and person' thing, in response to direct questions, for the reasons
Bruce and D'Arcy point out. Note that by knowing the reasons, one may
then make informed decisions, like my posting of this message directly
to the list only, since it's a peripheral issue and multiple people
are involved in the conversation. It's not uncommon, when debugging
a particular problem, or discussing implementation of a new feature,
to have a thread of discussion by CC'ing three or four developers,
plus the HACKERS list for archiving and general interest.

In short, it's a cultural thing.

Ross