Re: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > I was wondering if the multiple writes performed to the XLOG could be
> > grouped into one write().
>
> That would require fairly major restructuring of xlog.c, which I don't
> want to undertake at this point in the cycle (we're trying to push out
> a release candidate, remember?).  I'm not convinced it would be a huge
> win anyway.  It would be a win if your average transaction writes
> multiple blocks' worth of XLOG ... but if your average transaction
> writes less than a block then it won't help.
>
> I think it probably is a good idea to restructure xlog.c so that it can
> write more than one page at a time --- but it's not such a great idea
> that I want to hold up the release any more for it.

OK, but the point of adding all those configuration options was to allow
us to figure out which was faster.  If you can do the code so we no
longer need to know the answer of which is best, why bother adding the
config options.  Just ship our best guess and fix it when we can.  Does
that make sense?

Pennsylvania19026