Re: Performance monitor signal handler - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: Performance monitor signal handler
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au> [010313 06:42] wrote:

> >This ought to always give a consistant snapshot of the file to
> >whomever opens it.
> >

> I think Tom has previously stated that there are technical reasons not to
> do IO in signal handlers, and I have philosophical problems with
> performance monitors that ask 50 backends to do file IO. I really do think
> shared memory is TWTG.

I wasn't really suggesting any of those courses of action, all I
suggested was using rename(2) to give a seperate appilcation a
consistant snapshot of the stats.

Actually, what makes the most sense (although it may be a performance
killer) is to have the backends update a system table that the external
app can query.

Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/