Re: Intermittent Regression test failure in create_misc - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Hentosh
Subject Re: Intermittent Regression test failure in create_misc
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 10:34:05PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Hentosh (hentosh@io.com) writes:
> > Postgresql was compiled with ./configure --enable-syslog after
> > modifying "#define BLCKSZ 16384" in src/include/config.h.in
>
> Hm.  I wonder if that is triggering the problem, or if it's something
> platform-dependent?  Could you rebuild with standard blocksize and
> see if you still see the intermittent failures?
>
> Also, are you running the parallel or serial regress tests ("make check"
> or "make installcheck")?
>
>             regards, tom lane

I was running a "gmake check" (the parallel tests).  I recompiled with
just the default BLCKSZ, then my errors didn't happen at the same spot
but were erratic.

After searching on the net I came across mention that the system
limits need to be modified for postgresql to run the regression tests.

http://www.crimelabs.net/postgresql.shtml

Knowing what to search for I found some mention in the documentation
under doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml. After correcting the per user
resource limits in /etc/login.conf. I now have completed running the
regression test over 15 times successfully with the standard BLCKSZ
(except for the expected random test failure).

This issue can be closed.  My mistake.

Where should I have looked to find out that I was exhausting my
resources? I would like to size the system correctly when I test my
application.

I new to BSD, this is the first time I am using it for a development
project.

Thanks,
Robert Hentosh