Re: [BUGS] Problem with 7.0.3 dump -> 7.1b4 restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: [BUGS] Problem with 7.0.3 dump -> 7.1b4 restore
Date
RE: [BUGS] Problem with 7.0.3 dump -> 7.1b4 restore  ("Rainer Mager" <rmager@vgkk.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> We have a Unicode (UTF-8) database that we are trying to upgrade to 7.1b4.
> We did a pg_dumpall (yes, using the old version) and then tried a restore.
> We hit the following 3 problems:
>
> 1. Some of the text is large, about 20k characters, and is multiline. For
> almost all of the lines this was fine (postgres put a \ at the end of the
> previos line) but for some it was not. The lines I looked at all had
> non-English characters (Japanese and/or Korean) at the end of the line. When
> the restore encountered these lines it failed and, since the dump uses COPY,
> the entire table was left blank.
>
> 2. Some two-byte dash/hyphen characters DID get correctly imported into the
> database but could not be read out again via JDBC, that is, when read the
> record was truncated at the character. This _might_ be related to a long
> standing Java core bug regarding improper conversions between certain
> languages and the internal Unicode representation for hyphens.
>
> 3. One other character, a two-byte apostrophe, was not restoreable,
> similarly to the hyphen problem.
>

> After fighting the above, I decided to try doing the dump with the -dn
> flags. This fixed problem #1 but not 2 or 3. If needed I can try to get
> details about the problem characters.

This might be related to a known bug with 7.0.x. Can you grab a patch
from ftp://ftp.sra.co.jp/pub/cmd/postgres/7.0.3/patches/copy.patch.gz
and try again?

Or even better, can you give me a minimum set of data that reproduces
your problem?
--
Tatsuo Ishii