Re: Open 7.1 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Open 7.1 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > New PL/pgSQL GET DIAGNOSTICS statement for SPI value access (Jan)
>
> If someone can show me an example of how it operates I can write up
> something.

I found:
 > Quoting a recent message by Jan Wieck <janwieck@Yahoo.com>: > :Do a > : > :    GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO
<int4_variable>;  > : > :directly  after  an  INSERT,  UPDATE  or DELETE statement and you'll know > :how many rows
havebeen hit. > : > :Also you can get the OID of an inserted row with > : > :    GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT RESULT INTO
<int4_variable>;>

Looking at plpgsql/src/gram.y, it only supports PROCESSED (rows
returned/affected) and RESULT (OID).  The grammar indicates that only
SELECT is allowed in GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT.  Jan says it works for
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE too, but I guess you still use GET DIAGNOSTICS
SELECT.

> > Improve PL/PgSQL documentation (?)
>
> I agree with the "(?)"...  Certainly a bit late to start an "improvement"
> project.

I heard someone was working on that and was not sure how far they were.
As I remember, docs can pretty much be done anytime before doc freeze.
Probably will not happen in 7.1.  Item removed.

> > Store tables as files named by OID (Vadim)
>
> This has never been documented to the contrary AFAIK.  There's an empty
> "Storage" chapter, which would be a good place to put this --- eventually.

OK, Removed.

> > New /contrib/rserv replication toolkit (Vadim)
> > New /contrib/oid2name to map numeric files to table names
>
> These both have their appropriate READMEs.

Yes, I kept rserv in there in case we wanted to more prominently mention
it in the HISTORY file and give an overview.  Guess not.  Seems like a
pretty cool thing to keep hidden in /contrib.  The /rserv README doesn't
adequately describe its usefulness.  All removed.

> > New pg_class.relkind value for views (Mark Hollomon)
>
> Documented.

Removed.

Pennsylvania19026