Re: Hrm...why is this wrong? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Hrm...why is this wrong?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Ken Corey wrote:
> Wow! Answering emails on a Sunday?  Someone should be giving you an award or
> something.
>
> On Sunday 04 February 2001  8:13 pm, you wrote:
> > Ken Corey <ken@kencorey.com> writes:
> > > When the select at the bottom of this email is executed, I'm getting the
> > > message:
> > > ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "$1"
> >
> > I don't get that; I get
> >  ERROR:  Attribute 'username_in' not found
> > which is about what I'd expect for the given function text; maybe you
> > didn't transcribe it accurately?
>
> That's strange...perhaps the difference was a problem with my table
> definition?  *shrug* I also had made a few mistakes, so once I got those
> fixed, the code seems to work again.
>
> > Anyway, an invaluable technique for debugging plpgsql functions is to
> > start psql with debug level 2, so that the queries the plpgsql executor
> > feeds to the SQL engine get logged in the postmaster log.  (If you don't
> > run the postmaster with a logfile, you should...)  For example:
>
> Hey, that's perfect.  It's okay just so long as the debugging out goes
> *somewhere*...:^)
   Another lesser known trick is to add
   #option dump
   at  the  top  of  the  function  body (before DECLARE).  This   causes the PL/pgSQL compiler to dump out the entire
function  after  parsing  where  you  can  see all the SPI queries that   later will get executed.

Jan