Index grows huge, possible leakage? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
List pgsql-hackers
After several weeks our idicies grow very large (in one case to
4-5 gigabytes) After droppping and recreating the indecies they
shrink back to something more reasonable (500megs same case).

We are currently using Vadim's vacuum patches for VLAZY and MMNB,
against 7.0.3.  We are using a LAZY vacuum on these tables

However a normal (non-lazy) vacuum doesn't shrink the index, the
only thing that helps reduce the size is dropping and recreating.

Is this a bug in 7.0.3?  A possible bug in Vadim's patches? Or is
this somewhat expected behavior that we have to cope with?

As a side note, the space requirement is actually 'ok' it's just
that performance gets terrible once the indecies reach such huge
sizes.