Waiting for postmaster to be completely started - Mailing list pgsql-general

From oberpwd@anubis.network.com (Wade D. Oberpriller)
Subject Waiting for postmaster to be completely started
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I have a script with the following code:

    $(PGSQL)/bin/pg_ctl -D $(PGSQL)/data start ;\
    $(PGSQL)/bin/createlang -L $(PGSQL)/lib plpgsql template1

Sometimes I get an error from createlang, and it appears that postmaster
has not completely been started and is not ready to accept connections. Does
the pg_ctl script wait until postmaster has been started and is ready to
accept connections? If not what is a good way of determining this?

I am trying to automate the building of the database, and I need a reliable
way to do this.

Wade Oberpriller
oberpwd@network.com