Re: How to tell if that UPDATE worked? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: How to tell if that UPDATE worked?
Date
Re: How to tell if that UPDATE worked?  (<drevil@sidereal.kz>)
List pgsql-general
drevil@sidereal.kz wrote:

> I'm writing some stuff in PL/pgsql (actually, a lot of stuff).  I have
> a question: At various times, it does UPDATEs.  Is there a way to tell
> if the UPDATE actually affected any rows or not?  I couldn't see how
> to get UPDATE to return anything.

    Do a

        GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO <int4_variable>;

    directly  after  an  INSERT,  UPDATE  or DELETE statement and
    you'll know how many rows have been hit.

    Also you can get the OID of an inserted row with

        GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT RESULT INTO <int4_variable>;

    Er - is this another added feature where we're still  lacking
    documentation?

Jan