Re: DES encryption in Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: DES encryption in Postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 04:54:36AM -0000, drevil@sidereal.kz wrote:
> I looked through all the docs, and I couldn't find a function which
> would simply DES encrypt a string.  Is DES not implemented in
> Postgres?  Or am I just not finding the function?

It is not implemented.  In 7.1 you'll find crypto hashes (MD5,
SHA1, ...) in contrib/pgcrypto and also I am thinking about doing a
crypt(3) like thing too, but no block ciphers.

Could you describe what would you do with it?  At the moment it
is not implemented, because e.g. I am not aware even anyone
asking before, and myself also does not need it.  Maybe you are
better off doing that in application level?  If you have good
use for it I guess it can be looked into...

--
marko