AIX 4.3.3 and postgresql 7.0.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Larson
Subject AIX 4.3.3 and postgresql 7.0.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Has anyone else got aix 4.3.3 and postgresql 7.0.3 working with respect
to dynamically loaded functions? I'm having all sorts of wierd problems.

For starters, I ended up ripping out the old and outdated dlXXX()
implimentation in backend/port/dynloader/aix.c and have it calling the OS
supplied dlXXX() functions now. This got me _mostly_ working.

With this change, I can now run the regression tests, but only using an
installed postmaster. The parallel version locks up when it tries to use these
functions. I believe that what is happening is that the .so files are importing
symbols from /local/pg/bin/postgres, which isn't the currently running
executably and this is causing problems with correct symbol resolution.

When running runcheck, I get this log entry:

FATAL 1: check_primary_key: triggers are not initialized

Shortly after that, the postmaster gets hung up on an IPC semaphore during
a vacuum operation, which I suspect because one of the previous tests died in
a very bad way and left the IPC facilities in a bad state.

I'm curious if anyone else has experience any problems in this area?

As a side note, is there some reason that the AIX port hasn't migrated to
using the runtime linking facilities in aix 4.3.X? This would make the AIX
port much more foolproof in this area and mostly eliminate the need for .imp
files.

Dave
davlarso@acm.org
Home Page: http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~davlarso/