char/varchar conversions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Haworth
Subject char/varchar conversions
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm having trouble getting Postgres 6.5.3 to do what I want. The problem seems
to be fixed in version 7, but I could really do with a workaround for 6.5.3,
since I'm stuck with that for the time being.

journals2=> create table vc(v varchar(9), c char(9));
CREATE
journals2=> insert into vc values('abc','abc');
INSERT 1631143 1
journals2=> select * from vc where v::char(9)=c;
ERROR:    Unable to identify an operator '=' for types 'varchar' and 'bpchar'
    You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

Surely I did use an explicit cast? The same thing happens whether I cast one
side or the other or both. Let's try being sneakier:

journals2=> select * from vc where v::text::varchar=c::text::varchar;
    before or while processing the request.
We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is
impossible.  Terminating.

That's obviously too sneaky.

--
    Peter Haworth    pmh@edison.ioppublishing.com