Re: Syslog Facility Patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: Syslog Facility Patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> [001112 15:41]:
> * Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> [001112 14:02]:
> > OK, I don't like it (it just says "syntax error"), but here is an
> > improved version.  I also switched to strcasecmp...
> In looking at this some more, it appears that *SOMETHING* is not
> allowing messages from set_config_option() in
> /src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c out WHEN WE ARE DEALING WITH syslog type
> stuff and we are reading it from the postgresql.conf file.  I'm not
> sure how to deal with this..  I set syslog=2 then syslog_facility to
> some invalid value, and all I get is the syntax error message, not the
> "option rejects value" message.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Oh, delete the elog() and fprintf() before you commit my patch (in
> check_facility() in guc.c), please.
Oh, more, if I give an invalid value on the command line, we get the
right message out.  So, it appears to be a conf file issue.

I'm no (f)lex guru, nor do I totally understand the startup stuff.

I feel the patch (modulo the killing of the elog() and fprintf() is
valuable.  I think I am the first to use the string parse_hook, so
this is probably the first time we've had this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman                      http://www.lerctr.org/~ler