Re: RE: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/access/transam ( xact.c xlog.c) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: RE: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/access/transam ( xact.c xlog.c)
Date
Re: RE: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/access/transam ( xact.c xlog.c)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> * Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> [001110 18:42] wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, though we can change this. We also can implement now
> > > feature that Bruce wanted so long and so much -:) -
> > > fsync log not on each commit but each ~ 5sec, if
> > > losing some recent commits is acceptable.
> >
> > Sounds great.
>
> Not really, I thought an ack on a commit would mean that the data
> is actually in stable storage, breaking that would be pretty bad
> no?  Or are you only talking about when someone is running with
> async Postgresql?

The default is to sync on commit, but we need to give people options of
several seconds delay for performance reasons.  Inforimx calls it
buffered logging, and it is used by most of the sites I know because it
has much better performance that sync on commit.

If the machine crashes five seconds after commit, many people don't have
a problem with just re-entering the data.

Pennsylvania19026