Re: RE: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/access/transam ( xact.c xlog.c) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: RE: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/access/transam ( xact.c xlog.c)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [001111 00:16] wrote:

> > > Sounds great.
> >
> > Not really, I thought an ack on a commit would mean that the data
> > is actually in stable storage, breaking that would be pretty bad
> > no?  Or are you only talking about when someone is running with
> > async Postgresql?
>
> The default is to sync on commit, but we need to give people options of
> several seconds delay for performance reasons.  Inforimx calls it
> buffered logging, and it is used by most of the sites I know because it
> has much better performance that sync on commit.
>
> If the machine crashes five seconds after commit, many people don't have
> a problem with just re-entering the data.

We have several critical tables and running certain updates/deletes/inserts
on them in async mode worries me.  Would it be possible to add a
'set' command to force a backend into fsync mode and perhaps back
into non-fsync mode as well?

What about setting an attribute on a table that could mean
a) anyone updating me better fsync me.
b) anyone updating me better fsync me as well as fsyncing  anything else they touch.

I swear one of these days I'm going to get more familiar with the
codebase and actually submit some useful patches for the backend.
:(