Re: Increasing the number of semaphores on FreeBSD 4.1 (clarification) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: Increasing the number of semaphores on FreeBSD 4.1 (clarification)
Date
List pgsql-general
* Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com> [001109 19:12] wrote:
> Hi -
>     I recently tried to start postmaster (7.0.2) with -B 128 -N 64 and
> got the "semget failed" error.  Looking in the faq[1] it says I need to
> increase the amount allowed in the kernel.  It tells me what I need to do,
> but my question is what values should I set them to?  Is there any way to
> figure it out based on load, etc?  Also, are there detrimental effects to
> setting them too high?

What OS are you using?

> [1]http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/docs/faq-bsdi

If it's FreeBSD we've documented the tunables here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES?rev=1.857

The docs will probably also help if you're using BSD/os.

Also you don't want to "go nuts" with raising these values, they
can cause the kernel to allocate too much memory for these structures
and cause problems booting or running your system.