Re: Increasing the number of semaphores on FreeBSD 4.1 (clarification) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Hallstrom
Subject Re: Increasing the number of semaphores on FreeBSD 4.1 (clarification)
Date
List pgsql-general
> * Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com> [001109 19:12] wrote:
> > Hi -
> >     I recently tried to start postmaster (7.0.2) with -B 128 -N 64 and
> > got the "semget failed" error.  Looking in the faq[1] it says I need to
> > increase the amount allowed in the kernel.  It tells me what I need to do,
> > but my question is what values should I set them to?  Is there any way to
> > figure it out based on load, etc?  Also, are there detrimental effects to
> > setting them too high?
>
> What OS are you using?

FreeBSD 4.1

> > [1]http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/docs/faq-bsdi
>
> If it's FreeBSD we've documented the tunables here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES?rev=1.857
>
> The docs will probably also help if you're using BSD/os.
>
> Also you don't want to "go nuts" with raising these values, they
> can cause the kernel to allocate too much memory for these structures
> and cause problems booting or running your system.

Yeah, that's what I've seen... I guess I was wondering if there were any
guidelines to raising them..  I mean should I up the defaults by 10?  Or
up them by a percentage (to keep the relationship), etc...

??