Re: binary data and TEXT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: binary data and TEXT
Date
List pgsql-general
Hey there Martin,

--- "Martin A. Marques" <martin@math.unl.edu.ar>
wrote:
> Hi, I have a par of questions.
>
> 1) I've read alot abot the 8K row limitation on
> pgsql. What would happen if I
> had a table defined with two columns, one serial and
> the other TEXT, and in
> one insert the texct that goes in the column with
> type TEXT has 80K or even
> more?

I actually am not sure what happens exactly, but I
would bet that it would make you unhappy.
Historically if you wanted to save something in the
database that had a tendency to get large you needed
to either:

A) Cut it up into smaller bits and store it in several
tuples.
B) Store it as a Large Object (which is a whole
separate API).

Fortunately, the PostgreSQL team has finally worked
around this limitation with the new TOAST code in the
upcoming release.  If you are just starting to develop
your application you might consider taking a look at
the CVS version of PostgreSQL and coding against that.

> 2) Is it posible to storage binary data in the
> database? I've been looking
> for a byte type in the manuals with no luck at all.
>
> Thanks.

Look for Large Object if you want to see how something
like this is currently done.  Or just get the CVS
version and see how bright the future is looking.

Jason