Re: Modifying triggers in database in use... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Sjölie
Subject Re: Modifying triggers in database in use...
Date
List pgsql-general

On 2000-08-17 07:40:36, Bob Parkinson wrote:
> How about keeping the stuff in an external file, then drop the function
> and trigger, and do a psql -d the_database -f the_code to reload.
>
> If you drop functions you must also drop the trigger associated with it
> (it one exists).

Well, yeah, that's pretty much what I meant here:

> > Is there a nice way to keep the source elsewhere and reload it in some
> > simple way? I tried editing database dumps but that feels really bad.

I was hoping for a better way but I guess it works...
(I don't like to have to drop everything just to tune a variable in a
function, (I think) I've seen signs that some things (cached oids?) make
(some) trouble when You do this)
What I'd really like would be something like specifying the source file
where the function is stored when You create the function instead of the
actual code - kinda like You specify an object file when You define a C
function... It doesn't feel like an unreasonable feature to me...

> This bit has been in the archives recently.

I'm having trouble finding it... pointers?

/Daniel (not subscribed)

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)