Modifying triggers in database in use... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Sjölie
Subject Modifying triggers in database in use...
Date
List pgsql-general
I've sent this once before but it didn't seem to get through
(couldn't find it in the archive)

Hi...

What is the recommended way to make changes to a database in use?

The database is not critical, I can take it down for a day or so but I'd
rather not (or as little as possible anyway). What bothers me is how
hard it is to update functions (primarily triggers) in a nice way.

Using a procedural language is a lot easier but I find it a real pain to
edit functioins created in this way since they're only stored in the
database. You have to retrieve them, edit them and then update them.

Is there a nice way to keep the source elsewhere and reload it in some
simple way? I tried editing database dumps but that feels really bad.

Or would You reccomend that I just get a grip and code it all in C?
(I started but my lazy self really doesn't like it when I know it can be
done so much easier in a procedural language :)

/Daniel (not subscribed)

PS pl/perl doesn't seem to work in debian. Any tips?

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)