update on TOAST status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject update on TOAST status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
FYI,
   during the day I committed a couple of changes to TOAST.
   -   Secondary  relations for the toaster (to move off values)       are now automatically created during CREATE
TABLE, ALTER       TABLE  ...  ADD  COLUMN and SELECT ... INTO, whenever the       first toastable attribute appears in
thetable schema.

   -   The TOAST tables are now of kind RELKIND_TOASTVALUE.
   -   TOAST tables cannot  be  vacuumed  separately.  They  are       allways  vacuumend if their master table is,
whileVACUUM       still holds the lock on the master table.

   -   VACUUM  doesn't  propagate  ANALYZE  to   TOAST   tables.       Statistics for them are needless because the
toastaccess       is allways hardcoded indexed.

   -   TOAST tables are protected against manual INSERT,  UPDATE       and  DELETE  operations.  SELECT  is  still
possiblefor       debugging purposes.  The  name  of  the  TOAST  table  is       pg_toast_<oid-of-master>.

   -   The  chunk_data attribute has been changed to type bytea.
   For now, "lztext" is the  only  test  candidate  datatype  to   invoke  the  toaster.  It can hold up to
multi-megabytesnow.   But be warned, this datatype will disappear as soon as "text"   is toastable.

   Next I'll make pg_dump TOAST-safe. Will only take a couple of   minutes I think.
   Toast  tables  aren't  automatically   created   for   system   catalogs.  Thus I'll add
       ALTER TABLE pg_rewrite CREATE TOAST TABLE
   to  initdb.  So we'll get unlimited view complexity for free.   As soon as  arrays  are  toastable,  we  might  want
to  add   pg_class because of relacl too.

Jan