Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this morepalatable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this morepalatable?
Date
List pgsql-general
Trond Eivind=?iso-8859-1?q?_Glomsr=F8d?= wrote:
> Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:
>
> > This is not something new. SunOS, AIX, HPUX, etc. all have (at
> > one time or another) considerable BSD roots. And yet FreeBSD
> > still exists... All GPL does is 'poison' the pot by prohibiting
> > commercial spawns which may leverage the code.
>
> GPL doesn't prohibit commercial spawns - it just requires you to send
> the source along.

    So  if  someone  offers  $$$  for  implementation of Postgres
    feature XYZ I don't have to make that code open source?  Only
    need  to  ship  the  code  to the one paying (under NDA so he
    cannot publish it) and grab the money?

    That's currently possible with our license,  and  if  someone
    would  pay  $30,000  for  something I need a month of unpayed
    vacation to implement, why not?   Maybe  I  can  sell  it  to
    others, that have the same urgent need for this feature, too.
    Making another $xK out of it.

    No question, the  result  will  finally  get  contributed  so
    everyone  benefits  from  it.  The reason why someone is even
    willing to pay that amount is  just  to  get  me  out  of  my
    dayjob,  focussing  on  his  problem  NOW,  so it's done in a
    month.

Jan