Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this more palatable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this more palatable?
Date
List pgsql-general
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> So you are in the "make no changes to existing license" camp?  Or just
> against that one para above?

    My home is my castle - since I where in the army I don't like
    camps any more :-)

    All I want is to be safe against beeing sued for something  I
    did for free, available for nothing on an AS IS base.

    The  aspect  of "this license permits to make it proprietary"
    is IMHO weakened by itself. More and more companies  see  the
    benefits  of  going  open  source  (getting  high experienced
    programming  and  maintainence  for  free)  as  the  Mozilla,
    Interbase and other examples demonstrate.

    I   started  with  individual  software  development  on  the
    customer side.  The  next  step  was  standard  software,  to
    reduce development costs.  Now we are at the beginning of the
    next wave, open source. Again reducing development costs. The
    closed  shop companies will be the loosers in the long run, I
    believe. So my focus isn't really on keeping open  what  once
    became  open  -  that'll take care for itself because someone
    will be there taking the last open version and continue  from
    that.

    My  focus  is on beeing protected. And I'm not sure if beeing
    bound to any US States law is a good choice for that.

Jan