Re: initdb crash after install - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tucker I Sylvestro
Subject Re: initdb crash after install
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Did you do an install from source?  If so, I had a problem similar to
this when installing on 6.5.3 on RH6.0.  The postgres install script
doesn't clean out the old binaries from /usr/bin, and setting your
path as listed in the installation instructions puts the newly created
binaries directory after /usr/bin.  The result is confusion and chaos
as the different versions of data and code are unable to understand
each other.  My solution was to copy all the new binaries into
/usr/bin and re-run initdb, but setting the path so the new binaries
are located first would also probably work.

My problem was different, so I can't guarantee this is the answer.
initdb worked for me, but pg_dump gave me a "couldn't find any
tables!" error.  It sounds to me like these both might be a similar
case of mismatched versions living on the same system though.

Tucker