Re: [GENERAL] User authentication problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: [GENERAL] User authentication problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Guillermo Iglesias wrote:
  >I have a database in a PC with linux and I try to connect from other PC with
  >linux too, when I try to do a query from command line with psql and the -u
  >option :
  >
  >    psql -d obrascop -c "select * from obras" -hpedidos -u
  >
  >I get the following error if i suply an user that exists in /etc/passwd
  >
  >    Connection to database 'obrascop' failed.
  >    Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
  >
  >But if i connect with an user that only exists in PostgreSQL it works
  >Can someone tell me why
  >
  >I have the following line in pg_hba.conf
  >    host         all         192.168.0.15  255.255.255.255   password
  >where 192.168.0.15  is the host from which I try to connect.

PostgreSQL password authentication has nothing to do with /etc/passwd.

The only users who can access PostgreSQL are those known to it
(listed in pg_shadow).  These usernames bear no necessary connection
with names in /etc/passwd.

     "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden,
      and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and
      learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye
      shall find rest unto your souls."
                                 Matthew 11:28,29