bitten by docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject bitten by docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hey I just got bitten by something in the docs: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/datatype1029.htm

specifically:
 Note: To ensure compatibility to earlier versions of PostgreSQL we also continue to provide datetime (equivalent to
timestamp)and timespan (equivalent to interval). The types abstime and reltime are lower precision types which are used
internally.You are discouraged from using any of these types in new applications and move any old ones over when
appropriate.Any or all of these type might disappear in a future release.

after reading this I quickly converted all my datetime into timestamp
then I got bitten because a lot of my scripts were using date functions
that don't seem to support timestamp as an argument, specifically
date_part().

Now if date_part() doesn't take timestamps in 7.0 that needs to be
addressed, however it seems that this change took place some time
after the 6.5 release.

I also realized that my changes to the docs in re async libpq functions
probably are confusing the hell out of people using the 'stable' 6.5.

Getting to the point, wouldn't it be easier on the users if either:

a) at release time the www docs are frozen but a link is made to the  HEAD branch of the docs so people can see what's
goingon in   current development.

b) maintain a -stable (off the 6.5 branch) of the docs that gets   fixes put into it relative to the release while
stillhaving a link  to the most current docs.  I know the inconvience of maintaining  a branch is annoying but this is
thebest way imo.

I think providing for this when 7.0 comes out would really assist
users, as the next release rolls around it's going to be just too
easy to get confused.

thanks,