Re: Performance degradation in Index searches with special characters - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Performance degradation in Index searches with special characters
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/6/24 13:28, Andrey Stikheev wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback. After looking into it further, it seems the
> performance issue is indeed related to the default collation settings,
> particularly when handling certain special characters like |<| in the
> glibc |strcoll_l| function. This was confirmed during my testing on
> Debian 12  with glibc version 2.36 (this OS and glibc are being used in
> our office's Docker image: https://hub.docker.com/_/postgres <https://
> hub.docker.com/_/postgres>).

This is not surprising. There is a performance regression that started
in glibc 2.21 with regard to sorting unicode. Test with RHEL 7.x (glibc
2.17) and I bet you will see comparable results to ICU. The best answer
in the long term, IMHO, is likely to use the new built-in collation just
released in Postgres 17.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team