Re: Performance degradation in Index searches with special characters - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Performance degradation in Index searches with special characters
Date
List pgsql-performance
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> This is not surprising. There is a performance regression that started
> in glibc 2.21 with regard to sorting unicode. Test with RHEL 7.x (glibc
> 2.17) and I bet you will see comparable results to ICU. The best answer
> in the long term, IMHO, is likely to use the new built-in collation just
> released in Postgres 17.

It seems unrelated to unicode though --- I also reproduced the issue
in a database with LATIN1 encoding.

Whatever, it is pretty awful, but the place to be complaining to
is the glibc maintainers.  Not much we can do about it.

            regards, tom lane