Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Guillaume Smet
Subject Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load
Date
Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Nov 24, 2007 5:16 PM, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Several of the major changes in 8.3 are I/O vs CPU tradeoffs which could be
> causing a slowdown if you're measuring primarily CPU resources. I'm thinking
> of both HOT and packed varlenas. I don't know if either of these are causing
> your slowdown but it's possible.

Here are some rough results:
http://people.openwide.fr/~gsmet/postgresql/postgresql_8.3_development_cycle_1.png

I don't pretend that this bench is realistic but it's a first step. I
run the tests with weird numbers more than 3 times to check that they
are consistent.

IIRC, packed varlenas were commited during April and HOT at the end of
September.

--
Guillaume